Sunday, December 26, 2004

Japanese Christmas

Some people have been asking me what is Christmas like over here, or if it gets celebrated at all. There in fact are probably more christmas decorations here than in your average town centre in the UK, and I have lost count of the number of times I have heard Leroy Anderson's hi-quality musak classic "Sleigh Ride".

On the other hand xmas day is not a holiday, and the only tradition associated with it is for couples to do couply things, like on valentines day, but with added santa keeping an eye on you to check whether your being naughty or nice...

Anyway, not having couplish things to do I went to a party in Kyoto arranged by Atsushi's former schoolteacher who is a very nice and funny guy, where he got several of his old students together and we ate lots and lots and got very drunk, not so different to the British style I think, though with more raw fish and less turkey. We even had cake, champagne, and sang "We wish you a merry Chrismas". The fact that I couldn't understand a word of what anyone said most of the time was really not very important!

We also had blowfish (fugu), and I am still alive, you'll be glad to know, though fans of the simpsons will know that we need to wait another few hours to be absolutely sure!

Anway best wishes and a happy new year to you all!

No comments:

 
/* Google Analytics */